Learn the truth about exfoliation!
Whether you're new to skin care of have a well-thought-out regimen, you've probably heard a lot of myths and misconceptions about face and body exfoliation that may cause more harm than good. That's why Dr. Tiffany Carle, Associate Principal Scientist. Skin & Clinical Research, is answering the most common questions about exfoliation, so you can exfoliate your skin the right way!
EXFOLIATION FOR EVERYONE
SKIN CARE TIP: ORDER OF APPLICATION
Dr. Carle recommends doing your skin care routine in this order.
1. Cleanser: Wash your face with cleanser, and check the directions for your exfoliator to see if you should have wet skin or dry skin for your next step.
2. Exfoliant: Complete this step two to three times per week, and use gentle, circular motions for physical exfoliants. By doing this step right after using cleanser, you ensure that impurities are not scrubbed into the skin.
5. Serum: Applying serums after exfoliation can be helpful because you skin may absorb the serums more readily.
6. Moisturiser: Moisturising after exfoliating may help soothe the skin.
7. SPF: In general, it is best to exfoliate at night so the skin is not exposed to any new irritants while it repairs, but if you exfoliate during the daytime, make sure you wear SPF.
Exfoliation for Beginners & Beyond
If you want personalised tips and product recommendations for exfoliating your skin, contact or connect with a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant! As your personal skin care advisor, she can help you customise your skin care routine, find an exfoliant that fits your current needs and share the latest makeup looks with one-on-one consultations and small gatherings — virtually or in person!
Dr. Tiffany Carle, Associate Principal Scientist, Skin & Clinical Research, is a scientist from Austin, Texas. She loves soccer, football and spending time with her two Labrador retrievers. She uses the TimeWise® Microdermabrasion Plus Set three times a week to help her skin feel fresh and invigorated.